Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 3 - First Day of School

It's been a few days since I uploaded pictures... I actually had internet access where I live ( I was using an unsecured connection, I guess they found out b/c I can't get a signal now.
SO... here some pictures until I can actually sit and post a new entry.
I love food.... this is why I take a picture of everything I eat!!
I will be leaving tomorrow for Salamanca and I will be taking tons of pictures!
I promise to upload them!
The pictures below are my roommate and me, the seafood at the grocery store, and me at a Colombian restaurant.



Things are starting to get easier. I'm learning my way around town, using the map less than before, and the jet lag is almost completely gone.
Last night, we went out to eat, a group of us. We had a plate full of appetizers with all kinds of seafood. We were told by the instructors and others not to eat mayonaise unless it was made at home (people make their own mayonaise here, and eat it a lot too.) Well, stuborn me, had to eat the food that had the most mayo!
Well, what do you think happened?? Yup! I got sick and more than likely it was from the MAYO. This morning I woke up puking and feeling sick! My stomach was in knots. It was the first day of class so I decided not to stay home... that would be irresponsible. I went, but we took a taxi. When we got to school I looked at all the schedules posted on the door. I was under the impression I was going to take 2 classes, but as it turns out I'm taking 3 classes.
1. The History of Spain - from the first man until 2008.
2. Business Spanish - Kinda like Economics
3. Spanish Culture
The first 2 classes are with the same instructor, Sergio. He's hilarious. The third class is with this girl Sara, seems really cool...
Well, that was school.. BTW, I started to feel better as the day progressed.
When we got home Irene ( Our Host ) had cooked some squash and brown rice for me. Since she knew I wasn't feeling well, she made something light for me to eat. That was really sweet.
After Robyn and I had lunch, we headed out to find an ATM because Robyn needed some money. We took this new street that wasn't on the map, and saw this man harvesting his garden, He had green beans, carrots, swash, you name it! He also had this HUGE Fig tree.. It was amazing... We sat and talked to him for a while then we were on our way.. We were walking up this bridge and ran accross the cutest kodak moment. 4 little old ladies just being cute! OMG, this country is made up of mostly elderly people. It was an interesting fact to have learned today in our Culture class. It's also interesting to see all the people walking... (Angie, people walk here more than DC).
We ended up at "EL Corte Ingles" a famous dept. store here in Spain, kinda like a Dillards,or Macy's.. and found some great deals. Every store here is having deals! This is the month for discounts. All the stores advertise and most everything is 50% off..... (still expensive because our famous U.S. Dollar isn't worth shit!) I bought some cute sandals for $3 Euros. After we went shopping we headed back to the house, ate, and that's my day in a nutshell.. I'll have to post pics tomorrow. I'm using one of the neighbors unsecured connection and it's hard to keep a steady connection going at any given time, so I'll have to do it from school.
Until then!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Nadal! I bet Spain is still celebrating.

Love,
B

Ashley said...

I am so jealous of you and your adventure. That sucks that you got sick. WTF is in the mayonnaise?

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

how fun for you grack! Austin misses his tia grace! text me or email me and let me know when i can call you.
xoxoxo!

Lynn said...

I'm a food picture taker too. Love it.